ChaosDo you find yourself and your team jumping from task to task, fighting fires and feeling unproductive? Does it take you ages to explain the different parts of the job to a new employee, because it is just so complicated? Does it just feel like there is a better way? The answer to your problems may be a streamlined business process.
The First Step to OrderThe first step to streamline your business operations is to understand how you are currently working. Draw out the steps that you take to complete a task. Break down extensive services into smaller jobs if that makes it easier to map your processes. Make sure that you note down the information that you require, and who does the work, at each stage. If there are variations in the process, then create separate branches to accommodate them. Ensure you include all the people who work on a process when you are gathering your information. Just by formalising your process you are well on your way to becoming more streamlined. Your team now have a step by step guide on how you work. Having a process map for each service will drive up consistency and make the onboarding of new employees far easier.
Achieving CalmOnce you understand how you are currently working, you can start to analyse your processes.
- Locate any steps that cause a bottleneck in your process.
- Find any actions that cause regular issues.
- Identify steps that are subject to SLAs or other customer requirements.
- Distinguish parts of your process that you can cut.
- Locate opportunities to batch steps, e.g. group geographically similar appointments.
- List tasks which are not being carried out by the best person for the job.